Sunday, January 16, 2011

An entirely different outlook on life

I only recently learned that Jeremy Irons is Catholic. I don't know why this was so important to me. I guess I just wanted to be certain that the man who was the center of the definitive adaptation of Brideshead Revisited should understand what it was about. Because no matter how clever you are, if you aren't Catholic, there isn't a single chance that you'd understand even half of what the book tries to say. It's as Sebastian Flyte says somewhere in the beginning (while talking to Charles):

"I wish I liked Catholics more."
"They seem just like other people."
"My dear Charles, that's exactly what they're not--particularly in this country, where they're so few. It's not just that they're a clique--as a matter of fact, they're about four cliques all blackguarding each other half the time--but they've got an entirely different outlook on life; everything they think important is different from other people. They try and hide it as much as they can, but it comes out all the time. It's quite natural, really, that they should."

I guess it's important to me, because if he were not Catholic, then I shouldn't be able to watch the series with any serious amount of belief. It would be just as false and ridiculous and missing-the-point as that new film with Emma Thompson in it, no matter that it (the series) was better casted and much better crafted.

---
edit. Apparently there's some debate online as to whether he is actually Catholic. This website--http://orientem.blogspot.com/2009/08/jeremy-irons-on-catholicism-and.html--does have a bit on him and Catholicism. I am pleased that he has at least read up on the faith and is actually Christian, whether or not he is a baptized Catholic or not. It makes his conversion as Charles Ryder more believable. More specifically, he said in a 2005 interview:

"Am I a spiritual person? I hope so. I'm not very intellectual, I'm instinctive. My family's Catholic," he says, referring to his wife, the actor Sinead Cusack, and their sons Sam, 27, and Max, 19. "I don't go to church much because I don't like belonging to a club, and I don't go to confession or anything like that, I don't believe in it. But I try to be aware of where I fail and I occasionally go to services. I would hate to be a person who didn't have a spiritual side because there's nothing to nourish you in life apart from retail therapy."

No comments:

Post a Comment