Monday, June 13, 2011

Teacher and Father

There was once a man who had nothing except his mother, brother and sister; a handful of friends; a sense of humor; and the grace of God. He had no power and no money, and sometimes he had barely two pesetas to rub together. But within a century he changed the world and changed the lives of thousands (if not millions) of people.

I am one of those many people. I found him and everything changed. Before I met this man I led a dissipated life, without sparkle and without purpose, without true joy and without meaning. My only thoughts were for myself and I didn't stand for anything, and fell for everything.

Now I'm still wildly imperfect, but he taught me never to be discouraged, and to know that whatever changes I need to make in myself and in the world around me are possible, as long as I rely not on myself, but on a higher power.

He taught me how to work with intensity, and he taught me how to struggle to be holy even in an unfavorable environment and with my thousands of defects. He taught me to love others as they are, which may be very different from what I am.

I have to admit that I get hurt when people say things about him that are unflattering or slanderous, because whatever they've said about him is wrong and without basis. I used to have this totally false idea of him, long before I met him, and when I finally came to know his spirit and his life, he totally blew any expectations I had of him out of the water. He is the kindest, most gracious, most refined human being I've ever met with the exception of his Mother and his Brother. The final proof of his kindness is that he has never spoken badly about the people who spread stories and rumors about him; he greets even the worst and dirtiest lies with a peaceful smile and a ready prayer. He is the real thing--a man who walks the talk.

I love him with the love a daughter has for her father, and with the gratitude of a student to a beloved teacher. I wish everyone could meet him and his poor, large, faithful Family.



Happy feastday, Father! I only wish that I could be half as kind, as loving, as obedient, and as faithful as you.

No comments:

Post a Comment