Sunday, May 15, 2011

My Candidate for Twelve

This is Jeremy Baines. I have no idea who the Twelfth doctor will be, but if I root for any particular candidate it'd be him.

Matt Smith's winning the part of the Eleventh doctor made me realize that, because we'd got used to David Tennant's good looks, we were kind of let down by Eleventh's strange features--that broad forehead and those crazy eyes and unattractively disheveled hair. (I don't know, I still think he's kind of handsome, but then I think Benedict Cumberbatch is handsome too; obviously I have no taste.) But I was thinking what, no doubt, a lot of Doctor Who fans before me have thought: that it's not about looks, but about character. The Doctor, no matter who plays him, is supposed to be a memorable person with lots and lots of character and self-confidence, as well as a particular quirk that will make you remember his particular incarnation. I think Matt Smith has character in spades and is knee-deep in quirks. Similarly, I think that Harry Lloyd, who played Jeremy Baines in the series 3 episodes Human Nature and Family of Blood, would make a beautiful, unforgettable Doctor.



Look at those crazy eyes and that slanted mouth as he plays this school boy "possessed" by a species of aliens bent on destroying the Doctor. I hope he gets chosen!

No comments:

Post a Comment